Ceres Healthy Start Family Resource Center
What is Healthy Start?
Ceres Healthy Start has provided a variety of school and community outreach services since 1996.
The Ceres Healthy Start Program is a school-based family resource center that comprehensively serves all students and families living within the attendance area of the Ceres Unified School District.
Healthy Start’s mission is to strengthen a family’s ability to access services and resources that support health, wellness and education of their children- ultimately promoting the sustainability of a healthy community.
Currently Healthy Start has received a grant from the Stanislaus County Children & Families Commission to continue to offer the “First Steps for Learning Program” This school readiness program targets those families with young children that are not currently enrolled in any type of pre-school, day-care or head start program. Through this program parents learn that all children are “Born to Learn” and that parents play the most important role in their children’s education. Parents also learn that children learn best by those they love. Ultimately parents discover and understand the concept “Parents as Teachers” begins in the home.
Services Provided: (Program Components)
- School Readiness Activities
- Parenting Classes
- Community Resource and Referrals (including health care basic needs)
- Resource Library
- Food and basic need referrals
- Positive Parenting Education and Support
- Health Care Assistance referral
- Community Leadership Development
- Access to Mental Health Clinicians
- Nutrition Classes Including Preventative Health Care Presentations
- Interactive Literacy Activities with Parents and Children
- Free Community Health Clinic
Services and Training Available for Program Participants
- Parent Child Interactive Literacy (First Steps for Learning program)
- Active Parent workshops
- Nutritional Education
- CPR-First Aid
- Car Seat Safety
- Oral Health Ed. Teeth Varnishing
- NAMI - (eliminate stigma of mental illness - presentation)
Who is Eligible?
- Insured or non-insured individuals including parents with children 0-5 years of age.